The Open and Youth winners along with the inaugural Mobile Phone winner of the world’s biggest photography competition, the Sony World Photography Awards, are announced today.
Drawn from the four corners of the world and covering a huge range of subjects, the winning Open, Youth and Mobile Phone photographers were chosen from over 96,000 entries to the 2015 Sony World Photography Awards. The achievement of each of the 14 winners is extraordinary not only in terms of the competition they faced, but also the fact that these winners are not professional
photographers; instead they are simply individuals who love photography. The youngest winning photographer is Stephanie Anjo from the United Kingdom who is just 14 years old and the winners are geographically spread from Mexico to Malaysia.
The Open and Youth competition winners were chosen by an expert panel led by Sam Barzilay, Creative Director of United Photo Industries. The Mobile Phone winner was selected following a public vote on the World Photography Organisation website. The Mobile Phone competition was introduced to the 2015 Sony World Photography Awards in recognition of the increased accessibility the latest camera technology within mobile phones has given photographers of all abilities and the creative freedom this has allowed.
The winners of the single best shot from each of the ten Open categories are:
• Architecture – Armin Appel, Germany
• Arts & Culture – Hector Muñoz Huerta, Mexico
• Enhanced – Antony Crossfield, United Kingdom
• Low Light – Nick Ng Yeow Kee, Malaysia
• Nature & Wildlife – Antoine Weis, Switzerland/ Luxemburg (joint nationality)
• Panoramic – Norman Quinn, United Kingdom
• People – Saleh Rozati, Iran (lives in Austria)
• Smile – Wilson Lee, Hong Kong
• Split Second – Jaime Massieu, Spain
• Travel – Yasen Georgiev, Bulgaria
For photographers aged 19 and under and judged on a single shot, the three Youth category winners are:
• Culture – Beatriz Mota da Rocha, Portugal (age 15)
• Environment – Yong Lin Tan, Malaysia (age 19)
• Portraits – Stephanie Anjo, United Kingdom (age 14)
And awarded to the photographer of the best single image taken using any mobile phone camera, the inaugural winner and runners up are:
• Winner – Turi Calafato, Italy
• 2nd place – Ako Salemi, Iran
• 3rd place – Janos M Schmidt, Hungary
Congratulations to all the winners and good try to all, who have submitted!
To view the images, please head on over to www.worldphoto.org.
Information as kindly shared by Sony / WPO.