For the longest time, after my HomePlug constantly overheated and died on me, any attempt to get stable Wi-Fi connection in my room had been taxing, annoying… and contributed to my heavy mobile data usage.
After hearing me
bitch share my pain with my Wi-Fi dead zone and setup woes, the kind people from Linksys, offered me their Wi-Fi Range Extender for testing / review.
The review unit: Linksys – RE6500 AC1200 Max Wi-Fi Range Extender
Release year: 2014
The steps I took (on my second attempt, cos silly me messed up the first by plugging it into the modem):
- Unboxed everything, screw in antennas and plug in the power plug.
- Find a spot that is in between modem (in living room) and room, the spot would be my kitchen.
- Switch on the extender and wait for about 2 minutes, for a solid light (non-blinking) to appear.
- Connect to the Linksys Extender Setup, via Wi-Fi on mobile.
- Open up the mobile browser and key / log into http://192.168.1.1.
- Look for my own modem Wi-Fi signals and log in.
- Shifted the Linksys Extender or anywhere that will at least give you 50% connection (for me, shifted it into my room and received full connectivity)
- That’s it, uninterrupted connectivity in my once Wi-Fi dead zone
Time taken for set up:
– 15 – 20mins (inclusive of unboxing and screwing in antennas)
Ease of use:
If you wish to set it up via laptop / desktop, do refer to the help guide provided by Linksys – User Guide for RE6500.
Although the RE6500 or Linksys AC1200 MAX Wi-Fi Range Extender is an older model, it still works great to enhance Wi-Fi coverage for home use.
If you require one to boost signal strength into certain areas of your home, you can get it on Lazada at S$150 – S$170.
Alternatively, if you are looking for something new and compact, do consider Linksys latest extender – RE7000 MAX-STREAM AC1900+ with MU-MIMO and Seamless Roaming. It’s available at Challenger at S$199.
Once again, a big Thank You to the Linksys team for the unit.
The setup test was smooth and yes, Linksys products will definitely be in my to-buy list for upcoming home 😀